What would a Sherlockian be if she did not choose to write about one of Holmes's substances of choice?
Addictive and numbing, morphine was central to the Opium Wars that broke down China's civilization in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and one of its derivatives continues to be a problem. Morphine gets its name from the the Roman god of dreams, Morpheus, because it induces sleep. Its similar structure to codeine is not surprising, although the latter is much less addictive. The diacetyl derivative of morphine, however, is most certainly not known as such. Heroin is different only in the presence of hydroxide groups--they are replaced with CH3CO, as shown below.
Heroin was first produced when Bayer, the makers of aspirin, in an attempt to synthesize a less dangerous derivative of morphine--an attempt that, quite obviously, backfired.
The effect of morphine is produced by specific components of the molecule's structure, including the benzene ring, a quaternary carbon atom, and the a two-carbon chain bonded with a tertiary nitrogen atom. As a result, we have a substance that can bind to receptors in the brain and reduce the pain felt normally. This "morphine rule" applies to other compounds as well.
I love how the Greek name is from Morpheus. Makes complete sense now. haha. It makes me wonder, if people are addicted to heroine and morphine is addictive, how do people get addicted from it? Do they have some sort of prescription with it. I'm fairly confused.
ReplyDeleteLike Samara, I really like Morpheus as well - a strong Greek name! I do wonder how people get addicted - do they get addicted from being prescribed or just they tried it one day? I do like how you stated, "We have a substance that can bind to receptors in the brain and reduce the pain felt normally." One thing I didn't know that I found interesting, is that Morphine gets its' name from the Roman God of Dreams, Morpheus, because it literally means it induces sleep. I think that's pretty interesting!
ReplyDelete